Wednesday, May 26, 2010

lunchbox notes

i've been tucking these into my kids' lunches
for more than a decade now.
i'm sort of a pro.
ned starts kindergarten in the fall,
so i'm looking at many more years of
~lunchbox notes~
my mom used to write a note on my napkin.
she would also write my name on my brown paper lunch sack
with a little mouse hiding somewhere in the letters.
(thanks, mom!)

here's how i do it:

blank 3 x 5 index cards / stickers / scissors / double-stick tape

fold an index card in half - peel & stick a sticker on the front.

"bubble cut" a sticker for your child to peel when they open it.
(cut around the outside of the sticker, leaving it stuck to the sheet.)
stick it to the inside of the card with double-stick tape.

♥ then, write a little note. ♥

my notes usually say
"hope you're having a good day"
or
"i'm thinking about you right now"

some of my all-time favorites are:
"eat more, talk less"

"roses are red, violets are blue,
please eat your apple, and your carrot, too."

or a kid-friendly joke:
"what do police use to arrest pigs?"
(you can write the answer on the back...)
"HAM-cuffs!"

"what time is it when an elephant sits on your fence?"
"time to get a new fence"

these little notes are good for big kids & grown-ups, too.
hide one inside
a book
or a pocket
or a wallet 
or a suitcase



5 comments:

Dawn said...

oh Catie...I used to write on the boy's napkins when they were younger...I am excited to be able to do this for Lucy when she starts kindergarten this fall!!

martha said...

i have done this for a shamefully long time...cannot HELP myself... :)
btw, you have the best playlist ever-and i have been shedding tears as i listen to many of the songs...am so emotional these days...

Emily said...

Love your ideas! The jokes are so adorable!

Rebecca said...

Okay, over a decade of this level of sweetness qualifies you for the Motherhood Hall of Fame!!! Wow! I love the jokes, too - you must have some killer sources by now, and I just bet that you have made up at least a few of them yourself, knowing you!

Anonymous said...

these fill emilys room and i love looking at them, you are so creative and wonderful!
love you! - annie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...