Sunday, May 30, 2010

popcorn

i ♥ popcorn


made the right way, with the right stuff


popped on the stovetop
with butter & yeast & salt.

are you ready to ask me about the nutritional yeast?
now, don't knock it til you try it.
it might look like fish food flakes...
but it's buttery & nutty.
hippie food, i know.
i love it.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
okay, a few notes on my "method":

in my opinion, the whirley-pop is the very best
(because it has a little arm that spins around
to keep the popcorn moving on the bottom of the pan)
but any heavy bottomed pot with a lid will work, just keep it moving.

1. drizzle canola oil in the bottom of the pan
(2 Tblsp maybe)
2. over high heat, toss in a few kernels
(they will pop when the oil is hot)
3. when kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn
(mine works best with 1/2 c)
4. turn the crank even before you hear popping
(this is loud & keeps getting louder as the popcorn pops)
5. lift it off of the direct heat when it's almost finished
(to avoid scorching)
6. dump the popcorn into a big bowl
& sprinkle with butter, yeast, & salt!
☼ YUM! ☼

i use
spectrum canola oil (another thing i buy in bulk at my co-op)
yellow popcorn (also bulk)
melted butter
nutritional yeast (bulk)
popcorn salt (extra-fine salt, great for french fries, too!)

10 comments:

sewmuchwhimsy said...

Catie, I love popcorn too. But teach me your method...I hate to admit it but I buy microwave popcorn even though I know it's loaded with bad stuff. Teach me your method...and what's the deal with nutritional yeast? xoxo Gretchen

Dawn said...

I make popcorn this way when I am not too lazy...love the whirly pop...BUT never bought Popcorn salt...and NEVER have known about nutritional yeast (where do you buy, what does it do)....do share!

Anonymous said...

I had popcorn yesterday too...with yeast.
From one hippie food lover to another.
Missy (who posted a comment to you all at the Missy post)

catie said...

go hemp!
(i always feel like shouting that when we are on the topic of hippies - from the will ferrell movie,kicking & screaming.)

hiya, missy!!

gretchen & dawn ~
i buy nutritional yeast in the bulk bins at my co-op and also at winco. it is yellow & flaky & i think it looks like fish food. i love the taste, but it is also very good for you - rich in b vitamins. my kids love it, and they have converted most of their friends(even those who do not normally like hippie food). dawn, you will find it at winco with the baking ingredients, i think. just buy a little & see how you like it. we eat it on other things, too: sprinkled over beans & rice & cheese and as a breading for black bean burgers. i have been eating it for, like, 20 years - not kidding. give it a go! ♥

p.s. gretchen, i will add a more thorough description of my popcorn method.

Emily said...

I have a confession.....I do not care for popcorn!! Gasp!! But if I am going to eat it, I like it fresh. I'm really not a fan of the micro kind. And, I have never tried Yeast cause my nutritionist tells me to stay away from yeasty foods. I do indulge with red wine, but otherwise I try to stay away. Hmmmm, I'm guessing it might not be good for me to try??

Dawn said...

Ok....bought a "little" nutritional yeast today...came home made popcorn and sprinkled a little on...YUMMM!!! I love it...and so did Lucy!! Thanks for sharing! xoxo

catie said...

yay, dawn!!
i'm so glad you liked it!
i wouldn't eat it if it wasn't yummy!

emily ~ i'm not sure about the yeast...
don't know if it falls under the "yeasts to avoid" category. i'll see what missy thinks. ♥

jill said...

love our whirly pop!! now i have to hit whole foods to get some nutritional yeast. thanks for the tip. :)

Rebecca said...

Tried to gulp down nutritional yeast by itself for a while and just couldn't do it. This is a fantastic alternative method - I'll have to try it!

mary said...

I love popcorn too Catie & make everything the same way - including the Whirly Pop.....just never heard of nutritional yeast. I'll be on the look out for it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...