Friday, October 15, 2010

show & tell {& the best cookies ever}


you can always count of us
for seasonally appropriate behavior.
yes, he brought a little pumpkin for show & tell.
{and we did pumpkin art - check back tomorrow to see it!}

you can also count on us for the best cookies ever.
{i made a batch last night ~ i have eaten 5 so far.}

this is the neiman marcus cookie recipe
which you have, no doubt, received as spam.
my original version of this recipe
is an office photocopy from 1991.
you will see below that i have cut the recipe in half 
(the original makes a staggeringly huge quantity).
i have also rearranged it so it's easier to follow.

they are the only cookies i make.
we have fittingly renamed them
~best cookies ever~

:: ingredients ::
1 cup softened unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
2 cups flour (i always use whole wheat pastry flour)
2 1/2 cups oatmeal, blended (measure first, then blend)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
12 oz chocolate chips (one bag)
half of a 7 oz hershey bar (grated)
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (i usually add more)

:: directions ::
preheat oven to 375°
cream butter & sugars.
add eggs & vanilla, blend.
mix together dry ingredients.
add dry to wet, mix well.
add chocolate & nuts, mix well.
roll into balls & bake 15 minutes until golden.

:: notes ::
1. i use my mini food processor to "blend" the oatmeal, "grate" the hershey bar, and "chop" the pecans (using the standard blade for all three).
2. oatmeal should be measured first, then blended.
3. break the hershey bar into pieces & whirl it in the food processor until it is almost a powder.  {also, the original recipe calls for an 8 ounce bar, but the only size close these days is a 7 ounce bar.  fair enough.  use one half for the recipe & eat the other half.}
4. i always freeze some cookie dough for later.  take my advice and roll it into balls before freezing, otherwise you will have a brick of frozen cookie dough.



p.s. it seems that neiman marcus
would like to convince you
that the story contained in my grainy xerox above
is an urban myth.
click here to see their official recipe.
{or maybe it's just another myth...}

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Ned...I love your little pumpkin! I bet you LOVE Kindergarten like Lucy!

OH man, I need to make these for my boys...they are a little sick of pumpkin...hee hee...check out my latest post :) I have a problem :)

P.s. I was waiting for you to comment on the post it notes...I cringed when I saw the room...and then thought of you and "no more post its"...you might have to give Powell and I a little talkin to! :)

Dianne said...

I have nver tried this cookies...heard lots of rave reviews but never baked or eaten them. You are giving me a nudge in the wrong direction 3 weeks before the wedding. xoxo

Pam said...

1. Ned..you are THE cutest kid eva. Seriously. You are too darn cute for words.
2. I have been making those darn cookies for years..and they are by far the best. xoxo

Vava (aka Virginia) said...

Ned + pumpkins = too cute for words!!!!!
And, I made those "Best Ever" last year. RAVE reviews!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness i miss these so much.
love - annie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...